Skip to main content

Universal Credit

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Universal Credit

Check who can apply

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work. 

It is a government benefit paid monthly by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Go to GOV.UK to find out who can claim Universal Credit

Universal Credit and other benefits

Universal Credit is replacing some existing benefits. You don’t need to do anything if you are receiving one of these benefits unless:

  • your situation changes
  • a benefit you're claiming ends

Advice from the DWP on how to get ready for Universal Credit.

Citizen's Advice guidance on moving to Universal Credit from other benefits.

Benefits not replaced by Universal Credit

You should continue to apply for Council Tax Support and free school meals. 

Claim Universal Credit

Visit GOV.UK to claim Universal Credit

You can also view the Universal Credit in action videos to help with your application.

Visit Citizen’s Advice for guidance on how to claim and manage Universal Credit payments.

If you have any questions call the Universal Credit helpline.

Help with your application

All residents can contact Citizens Advice Camden for dedicated support to make a claim.

Drop in for advice

Managing Universal Credit

Once you claim Universal Credit you will need to manage your claim online. 

Camden Adult Community Learning offer a range of free computer courses if you need help to get online. You could also ask a relative, friend or neighbour to help.

You will need to open a bank, building society or credit union account to receive your payments. Go to Money Helper for advice on choosing a bank account for your benefits payments.

If you cannot open a bank, building society or credit union account you should call the Universal Credit helpline.

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant you can speak to your Rent Officer on 020 7974 4444 if you would like your Universal Credit paid directly into your rent account. 

Help if you’re struggling 

Advance payment

It can take some time for your first Universal Credit payment to be made. Go to GOV.UK to get an advance on your first payment.

Other financial support