Skip to main content

Planning to leave an abuser

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Planning to leave an abuser

Exit site

  • The ‘exit site’ button will open the Google search page. You will still need to delete your viewing history. It may be safer to go online at work, in a library or at the home of a trusted friend or relative.
  • Call the police on 999 if you need immediate help. If you are not at risk of harm right now, you can call the police on 101 to discuss your situation.
  • Camden Safety Net is Camden’s domestic abuse service. Contact the Camden Safety Net duty worker on 020 7974 2526, or email [email protected]. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
  • If it is not safe for you to stay in Camden, you can approach any council to get support.

Plan to leave safely

Often, risks from an abuser increase at the point of separation. If possible, seek specialist support and make a plan to leave safely and successfully. Women's Aid have information if you want to leave your relationship safely.

  • Do not change your usual routines as it may bring attention to your plans. Your abuser must not know what you are planning.
  • Do not return to the property if you forget something unless you are with the police. Your safety is more important than any belongings.

Contact Camden Safety Net

You can contact us by phone, email or by completing the self-referral form.

Our working hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Outside these hours you can contact the National DV Helpline 0808 2000 247.

Pack an emergency bag

Pack a bag that can be hidden where your abuser cannot find it. You could hide a bag with a friend, family or at your workplace.

The bag could include things like:

  • ID and proof of address
  • evidence of income whether benefits, wages, bank statements
  • essential medication
  • list of emergency contacts such as friends, family, support services
  • enough clothes for a weekend
  • essential items for children or babies
  • car keys or travel card
  • bank cards
  • chargers for phones or tablets

Find a place to stay

If you are at immediate risk and need to leave your home suddenly, you could:

  • Call the police on 999
  • Call the National DVA helpline (24h)
  • Go to a police station
  • Stay with a trusted friend or family member
  • Go to an Accident and Emergency department
  • Approach Camden council or any of the other local authorities

If you leave during the day, you can come to the Camden Council office at 5 Pancras Square. Explain your situation, and the Camden Safety Net duty worker will come and meet you. You do not need to stay in Camden if it is not safe.

If you are at risk of being homeless you should contact us. You have priority need and we will find you emergency accommodation. Find out more about advice and support if you are at risk of being homeless.

Reduce the risk of tracking

Once you are safely out, you need to make sure that your phone, tablet, or laptop is disconnected from any tracking or location mapping. Women’s Aid has advice on covering your tracks.