Skip to main content

Legal advice if you are experiencing domestic abuse

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Legal advice if you are experiencing domestic abuse

Exit site

  • The ‘exit site’ button will open the Google search page. You will still need to delete your viewing history. It may be safer to go online at work, in a library or at the home of a trusted friend or relative.
  • Call the police on 999 if you need immediate help. If you are not at risk of harm right now, you can call the police on 101 to discuss your situation.
  • Camden Safety Net is Camden’s domestic abuse service. Contact the Camden Safety Net duty worker on 020 7974 2526, or email [email protected]. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
  • If it is not safe for you to stay in Camden, you can approach any council to get support.

Domestic abuse and the law

It’s important to remember that domestic abuse is a crime under the Domestic Abuse Act 2021. If you are a victim, it is not your fault. There is independent and confidential support available for you.

You have the right to know if your current or ex-partner has any previous history of violence or abuse. This is under the police policy called Clare’s Law, also known as the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS).

If you are not sure about the difference between family law and criminal law, the Rights of Women charity has some helpful guides:

Legal advice

Get free legal advice from:

If you cannot access free legal advice, you may be able to get legal aid. You will need evidence that you or your children have been victims of domestic abuse and that you cannot afford to pay legal costs.

Check if you can get legal aid

Camden Safety Net can refer you to a local solicitor’s firm. They will want to talk to you directly, but Safety Net can support you by explaining the process and liaising with the solicitor.

Emergency court injunction

Camden Safety Net can support you through the process of applying for a court order if you have experienced or been threatened with recent domestic abuse. You can proceed straight to court applications without the need for mediation.

The most common order is a non-molestation order. This protects you and your children from abuse or harassment by a named person or prevents them from contacting or coming near you. In most cases you can ask for an emergency order and the person you are applying against will not be aware of the injunction until it is served on him or her.

You can also apply for an occupation order. This is an order that restricts access to a home. Shelter has an introduction to occupation orders.

CourtNav is a free online service to help people get the legal support they need to apply for court orders against domestic abuse. This Citizens Advice service includes a free online tool that helps you apply for a court order, also called an injunction, against domestic abuse.

Restraining order

This can be applied for if there is a criminal court case going on. It does not depend on the defendant being found guilty.

Claim compensation

If your abuser is convicted of a criminal offence, the court can order them to pay you compensation.

You can claim compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. If you are still working with Camden Safety Net, we can help you to apply.

Contact the Victim Support Scheme for further advice or if you need help with filling out the compensation form.

Make a compensation claim