Skip to main content

Advice if you are experiencing financial abuse

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Advice if you are experiencing financial abuse

Exit site

  • The ‘exit site’ button will open the Google search page. You will still need to delete your viewing history. It may be safer to go online at work, in a library or at the home of a trusted friend or relative.
  • Call the police on 999 if you need immediate help.
  • If you are not at risk of harm right now, you can call the police on 101 to discuss your situation.
  • Camden Safety Net is Camden’s domestic abuse service. Contact the Camden Safety Net duty worker on 020 7974 2526, or email [email protected]. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
  • If it is not safe for you to stay in Camden, you can approach any council to get support.

What financial abuse is

Financial abuse is when you do not have full control of your own money. It is an example of coercive control.

Examples of financial abuse include when someone:

  • controls all the household income and keeps financial information a secret 
  • takes out debts in your name, sometimes without you knowing  
  • stops you from working, or taking part in education or training 
  • has all finances in their name only
  • monitors your bank account without your consent

Financial abuse is a form of domestic abuse under the Domestic Abuse Act 2021. If you are a victim, it is not your fault. There is independent and confidential support available.

Refer yourself for money advice and support

Camden offers a money advice and support service for anyone experiencing financial difficulty. You can refer yourself for money advice. If you contact us on 020 7974 4444 and tell us that you have applied, we will make sure that it is processed quickly. The welfare team will still need to do basic checks which could take a little while if evidence isn't straightforward on our systems.

Help from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)

The DWP has a range of measures in place to help anyone experiencing domestic abuse or violence. This includes:

  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Discretionary Housing Payments
  • Migrant partner support

Find out more on GOV.UK

Arrange for child maintenance

Child maintenance is a financial arrangement between you and the other parent of your child after you have separated. It covers financial support for your child’s everyday living costs.

Parents have the option to arrange everything privately between themselves. If you cannot agree, or it is dangerous to make contact with the other parent, you will need to apply for Child Maintenance.

Talk to your bank

Most banks offer support if you are a victim of financial abuse. This includes:

If you must leave your home, remember to contact utility companies to have your name taken off the bills. If possible, take your ID and proof of address documents to enable you to set up bank accounts, and apply for benefits or housing.