Skip to main content

Apply for severe mental impairment Council Tax discount or exemption

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Apply for severe mental impairment Council Tax discount or exemption

If you live with someone who has a severe mental impairment, you can apply for a discount on your Council Tax.

If you have a severe mental impairment yourself and live alone, you can apply for an exemption so you do not have to pay Council Tax.

If you are a student who lives with an impaired person, or owns a property occupied only by an impaired person, the property is exempt.

Who can apply

To apply, you must:

  • have a certificate from a doctor confirming a severe mental impairment.
  • be entitled to a qualifying benefit

Qualifying benefits

Employment and Support Allowance

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance only.

Universal Credit

Must include an amount due to limited capability for work or work-related activity.

Incapacity Benefit

Including short term, long term, and long term for widows and widowers types of Incapacity Benefit.

Attendance Allowance

May be paid at lower or higher rate.

Severe Disablement Allowance

May be included as part of Income Support.

Disability Living Allowance

Must include Care Component at the middle or higher rate.

Disablement Pension

Must include an increase for constant attendance.

Disability Working Allowance

But only if entitlement is because of prior receipt of Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance. Or where the customer received a disability premium with their Income Support because of incapacity for work.

Unemployability Supplement or Unemployability Allowance

You may receive this under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes.

Constant Attendance Allowance

You may receive this under Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes.

This is an additional allowance paid as an increase in the rate of benefit. It can be identified from award letters, for example a War Pension breakdown.

Income Support

Must include Disability Premium because of incapacity for work. It can be identified from award letters or the rate of benefit in an order book.

Retirement Pension

Where the person concerned would have qualified for one of the above except that they are over pensionable age.

Partner's Job Seekers Allowance

Where the person concerned is the partner of someone who receives income-based Job Seekers Allowance and this includes a disability or higher pensioner premium because they are either:

  • on long term Incapacity Benefit
  • were either getting long term Incapacity Benefit before they reached pensionable age and are still alive, or are entitled to Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance, but this is suspended as they are in hospital

How to apply

If you have moved to Camden from another council and already have a doctor's certificate, email a photocopy to [email protected] to apply.

If this is your first claim for a severe mental impairment discount or exemption, fill in our online form.

You will need

  • proof of the person's benefit entitlement
  • a doctor's certificate confirming severe mental impairment

Apply for a discount or exemption